The Los Angeles APA-accredited PhD in Clinical Psychology program at the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) follows a scholar-practitioner model, an integrative framework that builds upon the philosophy that scholarship and practice must occur concurrently and interdependently.
Underlying the program are two core principles:
- A commitment to seeing mental health and mental illness in sociocultural and sociopolitical contexts. Our belief that methods of psychological research and intervention must be relevant to the multiple cultures in which they are conducted.
- The Clinical Psychology PhD program in Los Angeles prides itself on the diversity of its learning community. Our location in Los Angeles, not only one of the most exciting and dynamic cities in California, but also a unique global hub in the Pacific Rim, offers a rich environment full of unique opportunities for research, practice, and advocacy efforts.
An exciting range of career paths working with these populations are open to graduates of the Los Angeles Clinical Psychology PhD program, including:
- Clinical and forensic therapy practice
- Applied clinical research
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses
- Clinical supervision
- Advocacy and social justice work in a variety of sociocultural and political contexts
Applicants to the CSPP-LA Clinical PhD and PsyD programs select one of three emphasis areas:
- Clinical Health Psychology Emphasis (CHP)
- Family/Child and Couple Emphasis (FACE)
- Multicultural Community-Clinical Psychology Emphasis (MCCP)
Students can also choose to opt-out of emphasis area specializations; these students are Multi-Interest Option (MIO). All students receive a general education in clinical psychology.
All students are expected to acquire and demonstrate substantial understanding of and competence in the following nine profession-wide competency areas:
- Ethical and Legal Standards
- Individual and Cultural Diversity
- Professional Values and Attitudes
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Consultation and Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary Skills
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费The competencies are met operationally through various academic and training activities that include courses, practicum and internship placements, and supervised research experiences. Multiple data sources are used to assess outcomes relative to these competencies. These competencies specify knowledge, attitudes, and skills that students are expected to achieve by the time they graduate from the program.
In addition, all students are expected to possess discipline-specific knowledge in the following four categories:
- History and Systems of Psychology
- The basic content areas of scientific psychology, including affective, biological cognitive, developmental, and social aspects of behavior.
- Advanced integrative knowledge in scientific psychology.
- Research Methods, Statistical Analysis, and Psychometrics.
Special Los Angeles Program Features
Students in the PhD in Clinical Psychology program in LA are required to select one of three emphasis areas:
- Clinical Health Psychology (CHP) – Students gain a thorough understanding and theoretical knowledge to serve various roles across community-based, medical and behavioral healthcare settings. Clinical health psychologists integrate psychological, biomedical, social and spiritual modalities to identify and offer treatment to promote psychological health.
- Family/Child and Couple (FACE) – Learn how to work with diverse families, couples, adults, and children from a systematic perspective by assessing, diagnosing, and treating relationship systems.
- Multicultural Community-Clinical Psychology (MCCP) – Specialized training intended to foster understanding, prevention, and reduction of psychological and community distress to historically underserved populations.
The Clinical Psychology PhD program places equal emphasis on training in practical clinical skills (like therapy and diagnostic assessment) and clinical research.Thus, our students are equipped to pursue careers in clinical practice, research, teaching, and administration. Doctoral students in the LA Clinical PhD program have the opportunity to complete three separate, year-long practicum training experiences in therapy and diagnostic assessment. Los Angeles provides the backdrop for CSPP students to work with diverse populations at over 100 clinical placements, spanning from community mental health centers to veterans hospitals, substance use treatment facilities, and inpatient psychiatric units. Students receive mentoring and guidance to pursue an APA-accredited internship in the 5th year of the program.
The California School of Professional Psychology’s Los Angeles PhD in Clinical Psychology program is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA), which requires that we provide data on time to completion, program costs, internships, attrition and licensure. Please follow the link below for that data. We hope this information will help you to make an informed decision regarding your graduate study.
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费The California School of Professional Psychology’s Clinical Psychology PhD and PsyD programs offered on the Fresno, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco campuses are individually accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association (APA).
*Questions related to a program’s accredited status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation.
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 336-5979
Our Campus Location
Alliant International University
1000 South Fremont Avenue #5
Alhambra, CA 91803
Links and Downloads
Through various academic and training activities, including psychology courses, practicum and internship placements, and supervised research experiences, the program strives to achieve the following aims:
To prepare students to be effective professional psychologists who are skilled at evaluating psychological functioning and providing empirically supported interventions with diverse clients across a range of settings.
To prepare students to evaluate and conduct research in clinical psychology, therefore contributing to the knowledge base in the field.
Students’ professional development occurs within the context of both formal coursework and professional clinical training experiences supervised by licensed clinical psychologists in a variety of mental health service settings. The Clinical PhD program requires students to complete three clinical practica, and a full-time pre-doctoral internship.
Our program has several field training experts who work closely with students throughout the placement process to assist students in securing placements in the field that allow them a diverse set of clinical training experiences that are aligned with their individual training goals.
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费Students complete at least 2400 hours of practicum training over the course of three years working with adults, children, couples, and families in a variety of community settings such as:
- Academic medical centers
- Veterans’ Affairs hospitals
- Inpatient psychiatric facilities
- University counseling centers
- Drug and alcohol treatment programs
- Community mental health centers
Our staff in the Office of Professional Training have longstanding relationships with over 100 sites within the Los Angeles and surrounding metro areas in southern California. Each site is carefully reviewed and monitored by our field training staff to ensure the quality of training. As students enter these sites, they assume a greater degree of clinical responsibility for assessment and intervention each year while being closely supervised at a level appropriate to the students’ training and abilities.
In the fourth year of the program, all students are required to apply for a full-time APA-accredited internship by participating in Phases I & II of the APPIC Match process. Every student receives extensive guidance and mentoring prior to and throughout the application process from the field training staff and their faculty advisors.
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费All APA-accredited internships are a full year in length and offer a stipend. Many students leave the Los Angeles area during the internship year to pursue specialized training experiences. The internship is a culminating experience that integrates the student’s academic and clinical experiences and prepares them for their professional role as a psychologist.
Office of Professional Training (Clinical Doctoral Programs, Los Angeles)
Jessie Lowell, PsyD
Internship Training Director
firstname.lastname@example.org | 626-270-3341
Paula Strauss, PsyD
Practicum Training Director
email@example.com | 626-270-3342
In the Clinical Psychology PhD Program in Los Angeles, designing, implementing and evaluating research are core skills that are taught to make our students thrive in their respective professional communities. Beginning in their first year of the program, students choose their own topic of scholarship for a research practicum course sequence. This practicum allows them to be mentored in a small group of students (usually six to eight) that are assigned to one faculty member based on common content and/or methodological interests.
Working with their faculty and student-colleagues, students learn the basic parts to designing and evaluating their own research project, including presenting at a school-wide poster session and sharing their results with various communities through local and national presentations. In the beginning of their third year, students undergo a year-long course in conducting research in applied settings in which they learn skills necessary for research consultation and program evaluation, crucial skills that allow them to aid mental health systems serving diverse cultural and professional communities.
Also during their third year, students apply skills they have learned in research methods and design to develop their dissertation with the help of a faculty dissertation chairperson. These projects involve faculty expertise in areas such as (but not limited to): cultural diversity, health, family dynamics, sibling relationships, child maltreatment, group psychotherapy, pediatric neuropsychology, gender identity, women’s issues, neurodevelopmental conditions, ecopsychology, and community psychology, intimacy and sex, cultural resilience, acculturation. The development of the dissertation is usually a two-year project, providing the knowledge and skills to conduct independent, ethical, and culturally competent psychological research independently upon graduation.
As a result of collaborative work, students and faculty have presented their scholarship at a number of professional conferences, including the meetings and annual conventions of the following professional associations:
- American Psychological Association
- Western Psychological Association
- National Multicultural Conference and Summit
- Los Angeles County Psychological Association
- United Nations Commission on the Status of Women Conference
- Association of Women in Psychology
- National Conference of Child and Adolescent Psychology
- American Psychology-Law Society Conference
- Annual Conference of the Southwestern Social Science Association
- International Conference on Violence, Abuse, and Trauma
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Asian American Psychological Association
- National Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, Office on Child Abuse and Neglect
- International Family Therapy Association
- American Group Psychotherapy Association
- International Congress of Psychology
- National Summit on Interpersonal Violence & Abuse Across the Lifespan
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Chadwick Center Conference on Responding to Child Maltreatment
- Boston College Diversity Challenge
- Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted National Conference
- New England Conference for the Gifted and Talented
Get the Alliant experience on your own schedule. See the variety of classes Alliant offers, and transform your education into impact.
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费At Alliant, our mission is to prepare students for professional careers of service and leadership and promote the discovery and application of knowledge to improve the lives of people in diverse cultures and communities around the world. Our Vision is an inclusive world empowered by Alliant alumni.
亚洲人成网站在线播放 亚洲人成电影网站免费The California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) is Alliant’s cornerstone school and was built on a legacy of thought leadership, multicultural competence, and quality of care. CSPP’s programs pair hands-on professional practice with academic rigor in order to prepare the next generation of psychologists and mental health care professionals.